Washtenaw Community College

Search Washtenaw Community College



   WCC Home: About WCC: College Information: College Archives: WCC Timeline
Click this icon for print-friendly version Print-friendly format Click this icon to e-mail this web page. E-mail this page  


WCC Timeline: 1966

September 1966

Willow Run (WCC's temporary) campus opens. 1200 enrolled students in more than 30 occupational areas and general student transfer curriculum. 58 full time and 41 part time faculty are on board. The facilities chosen for the college include an elementary school (Foster School) constructed during the early years of World War II and vacant for a long time, a former fire station originally used to protect the frame barracks of assembly line workers who worked at the Willow Run B-24 bomber plant, and a bowling alley which had been originally used by the defense plant workers. The automotive shops are housed in a former dairy distribution center in Pittsfield Township. Paramedical training programs are located in a church basement in downtown Ann Arbor.

December 1966

Debut performance of the Washtenaw Community College Band and Chorale, under the direction of Morris J. Lawrence.

December 1966

First edition of The Voice, WCC student newspaper published. It will continue publication through April 18, 1980.

Fall 1966

Work begins on College's first Master Plan and with architect for permanent campus


Go back in time and learn the history of our institution by clicking on a year in the timeline below.





  1959




  1961

  


  1964

  


  1965

 


  1966

 


  1967

 


  1968

 


  1969




  1970

 


  1971

 


  1972

 


  1973

 


  1974

 


  1975

 


  1976

 


  1977

 


  1978

 


  1979




  1980

 


  1981

 


  1982

 


  1983

 


  1984

 


  1985

 


  1986

 


  1987

 


  1988

 


  1989




  1990

 


  1991

 


  1992

 


  1993

 


  1994

 


  1995

 


  1996

 


  1997

 


  1998

 


  1999




  2000

 

  2001

 


  2002