Washtenaw Community College

Search Washtenaw Community College



   WCC Home: About WCC: College Information: College Archives: WCC Timeline
Click this icon for print-friendly version Print-friendly format Click this icon to e-mail this web page. E-mail this page  


WCC Timeline: 1976

Learning Resource Center

Learning Resource Center

President Myran

President Myran

July 1976

Board of Trustees adopts the college's first non-smoking policy. A ban on smoking in classrooms and the library goes into effect leaving smokers to congregate in lobbies, lounge areas, and hallways.

August 1976

Board of Trustees raises day care rates for the Children's Center from a per semester rate of $12.50 to an hourly rate of $.40-$1.25, based on a sliding scale according to income. About 25 students protest the rate hike at a Board meeting.

September 1976

Learning Materials Center (LMC) is dedicated after long construction delays. The largest building on campus, the LMC contains classrooms, office space, the library, bookstore, recreation space, and culinary facilities. The building's name will later change to the Student Center Building.

October 1976

Women's enrollment at WCC has consistently increased since 1969 (23.4%) to 46% in Fall 1976. Even the technology-industrial areas have seen a rise in female students. The women's movement is cited as being a major catalyst in the enrollment increase.


Go back in time and learn the history of our institution by clicking on a year in the timeline below.





  1959




  1961

  


  1964

  


  1965

 


  1966

 


  1967

 


  1968

 


  1969




  1970

 


  1971

 


  1972

 


  1973

 


  1974

 


  1975

 


  1976

 


  1977

 


  1978

 


  1979




  1980

 


  1981

 


  1982

 


  1983

 


  1984

 


  1985

 


  1986

 


  1987

 


  1988

 


  1989




  1990

 


  1991

 


  1992

 


  1993

 


  1994

 


  1995

 


  1996

 


  1997

 


  1998

 


  1999




  2000

 

  2001

 


  2002