WCC Rules of Thumb - Electronic Reserves
Instructors may place materials on electronic reserves if:
WCC Library Reserve Policies Chart.
More detailed information regarding generally accepted fair use principles may be found in the
CONFU Fair Use Guidelines for
Electronic Reserve Systems, see, e.g.,
- Access to the material is restricted to students in the course. Access is terminated at the end of the term.
- Amount of material used meets fair use guidelines, i.e., only a small part of the original is used (a chapter, an article, several charts or graphs, less than 10% of the original) and the reserve reading in total is a small in proportion to the assigned reading for the course.
- The instructor, the College, or the library possesses a lawfully acquired copy of the material.
- Notice of copyright and attribution to the source is placed on the first page, including the library’s Section 108(f)(1) notice.
- Permission must be obtained if the material will be used in subsequent terms, unless the book is out of print and not readily available.