Washtenaw Community College

Search Washtenaw Community College

Washtenaw Community College Human Resources

Human Resources:


Clerical Services


Contact Human Resources

Emergency Closing Procedures

Employee Related Rights & Responsibilities

Employment & Recruitment

Exempt Monthly Time Record Information


Frequently Asked Questions»

Human Resources Staff

Jobs at WCC

Labor/Employee Relations


Professional Development


Human Resources Home

Human Resources: Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to get a substitute for my area?
Complete a "Personnel Coverage Request Form" and contact Human Resources at 973-3351.

  1. What practices do Human Resources follow to keep Social Security Numbers Private?

  2. What are the hours of operation for the Office of Human Resource Management?

  3. How do I contact the Office of Human Resource Management?

  4. How do I get to Human Resources office?

  5. Will I be notified of the status of my application by Human Resources?

  6. Does Human Resources accept applications/resumes for positions that are not posted?

  7. What are the qualifications for becoming a part-time Adjunct Faculty?

  8. What materials will I need to submit to Human Resources to apply for a position?

  9. Does WCC sponsor H-1 Visas?

  10. How many hours can I teach as a part-time faculty?

  11. As a part-time clerical support staff, how many hours can I work?

  12. What happens if I do not have all the required materials for my job application?

  13. When are my application materials due into the Human Resources office?

  14. How will I be paid?

  15. Where do I go to pick up my paycheck?

  16. I am not receiving my direct deposit pay stubs, who do I contact?

  17. As an employee, how do I change my name and or address with the college?

  18. As a student, how do I change my name and or address with the college?

  19. Do I need to complete a full application to apply for each position?

  20. Where are jobs posted?

  21. Where can I get my MyWCC password reset?

  22. I need to verify my employment over the phone. Who do I contact?

  23. If the College has an emergency closing will I get paid? What if I am required to work during the emergency closing?

  24. How can I get paperwork notarized?

  25. What kind of services does Clerical Services offer?

  26. What do I need to do to get a substitute for my area?

  27. What if WCC faculty or staff need temporary help with projects such as filing, shredding and/or mailings?

  28. Who do I call with questions regarding UltraTime?

  29. Who should I contact with questions regarding my PTO, vacation, sick and personal time?

Show all answers

   WCC Home: Human Resources
Click this icon for print-friendly version Print-friendly format Click this icon to e-mail this web page. E-mail this page  

Human Resources

Home / Academics / Services / Activities / News & Events / About Us / Jobs / Contact Us
© 2014 Washtenaw Community College, 4800 East Huron River Dr,  Ann Arbor MI  48105-4800
734-973-3300 / Feedback & Suggestions / | Flickr | You Tube