Note Taker Guidelines
A note taker is an individual who is retained to take notes for the student during class lecture. Both the note taker and the student are required to attend the lecture.
NOTE: Any student concerns regarding note takers should be addressed to a Program Specialist or the Director of LSS (LA104, x3342)
- Note takers are to introduce themselves to the instructor prior to the start of class and indicate their purpose
is to take notes for a student. (NOTE: the student should already have given the instructor a letter from LSS indicating
they are permitted a note taker. Without the letter, the instructor is not to allow the accommodation).
- Notes are only provided for students who attend class. If it can be determined that the student is absent and does not arrive
within 20 minutes after the start of the class, the notetaker is to leave at the first opportunity. The notes taken for the 1st 20 minutes should reflect at the top that "student not present”.
- Note takers are there solely to take notes for the most part and should not participate in any class activities. Exception should be made, though, for the occasional student who requires work to be read to him/her during the class time. Make the LSS office aware of the exception.
- Note takers will legibly write down all relevant information including lecture notes, test and quiz dates, assignments and important vocabulary. (Alpha Smart keyboards are available for note taker use).
- Notes are filed alphabetically in LSS.
- The note taker typically records information from the lecture. If additional service is needed e.g. lab or group setting,
the student should inform LSS or the note taker may check with the instructor on need for additional time. The LSS office needs
to be informed of any time beyond the lecture.
- The note taker is to highlight the student's name on page one. All pages should indicate the specific course name and number, date, and page number.
- When possible the note taker is to know who she/he is taking notes for.
- Students and note takers are responsible for notifying the office in advance of any absence, class cancellation or change related to the note taking assignment.
- Whatever method the student uses such as a note taker, tape recording, or classmate hired through LSS, he/she is responsible for the material covered in class.
Return to Note Taking Information Page