Responsibilities of Students with Note Takers
The following is required if you are receiving note taking services:
NOTE: Any student concerns regarding note takers should be addressed to a Program Specialist or the Director of LSS (LA104, x3342)
- The Learning Support Services intake form must be completed and submitted each semester.
It is recommended to submit the form prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Notetakers will be assigned after the first day of class. After attending class, meet with
a Program Specialist to set up the service.
- Once an accommodation is obtained, it is the student's responsibility to provide the instructor with a letter from LSS indicating the specific accommodation. Without this written verification, instructors are not to provide any accommodations.
- It is the student's responsibility to immediately inform LSS when not attending a class (24 hours, if possible). If a class is dropped or if the note taker is of no benefit, the service will be cancelled.
If notification of absence is not received in two instances or there are more than two last minute cancellations, the service may be suspended.
- Note takers do not attend or remain in class if the student is not present (20 minutes is the normal wait time). If another student in the class is providing the service, notes are not to be given if the student receiving the notes is not in class. The note taker will not be paid if the student is not in class.
- Students must make arrangements to pick up the notes on a weekly basis. If the student is unavailable due to illness or scheduling problems, a family member may pick up the notes on behalf of the student.
- Whatever method the student uses such as a note taker, tape recording, or classmate hired through Learning Support Services, he/she is responsible for the material covered in class.
Return to Note Taking Information Page