Washtenaw Community College hosts two Honors Convocations each year to recognize students who have achieved High Honors on the Dean’s List. The Winter Convocation takes place in January and the Spring Convocation takes place in May. The Convocations take place in the Morris Lawrence Building. Eligible participants will receive an email invitation in their WCC email address.
What should honorees expect at the convocations?
- This is a ceremony. Honorees will check in and be seated in the honoree seating area. Please be prepared to have family and friends seated separately.
- There is not a dress code, but we suggest business casual attire.
- Representatives of the college (typically, the President of the college, a Dean, and a few members of the Board of Trustees) will speak at the ceremony.
- Honorees will be individually recognized by walking across the stage to receive their certificate.
- Light refreshments are served after the ceremony.
The Spring Convocation scheduled for May 15, 2014 will honor Full-Time Winter High Honor students as well as May, June, and August Honors and High Honors Graduate Candidates. Students receiving “Special Awards” will also be recognized.
The Winter Convocation scheduled for January 23, 2014 will honor Part-Time High Honor Students, Full-Time Spring/Summer 2013 High Honor Students and Full-Time Fall 2013 High Honor students. December 2013 Honors Graduate Candidates and December 2013 High Honors Graduate Candidates are also recognized. View more details about the event on the WCC calendar.
There are three types of Honors students recognized at the Convocation:
- Honors students must complete 12 or more credits and achieve a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.5.
- High Honors students must complete 12 or more credits and achieve a minimum GPA of 3.8.
- Part-time Honors students are recognized only at the Winter Convocation using the following guidelines:
- Students attending WCC on a part-time basis must have earned a minimum of fifteen (15) credits over three (3) semesters. For the Winter 2013 Convocation, the series of semesters that would qualify honorees are:
- Winter 2012, Spring/Summer 2012, Fall 2012
- Spring/Summer 2012, Fall 2012, Winter 2013
- Fall 2012, Winter 2013, Spring/Summer 2013
- Students must have a grade-point average of 3.8 or higher for any of the three consecutive semesters listed above, i.e., divide the number of honor points accumulated over the three-semester period and divide by the number of graded credits. “P” and “S” grades are not used in the GPA calculation.
Due to space constraints, Dean’s List Honors students are not invited to the convocation, but are recognized with a certificate. Honorees will be notified via their WCC email that a certificate is available for pick-up in the Counseling and Career Planning Office.
Questions about Honors Convocation? Contact John Rinke at 734-677-5112 or email.
A WCC degree or certificate is a credential that even transfer students use on their resumes.
Please select the following links for information related to graduation: