Board of Trustees Policy
1030 - POLICY DEVELOPMENT GUIDELINES
The Board of Trustees of Washtenaw Community College, through the general and specific powers vested in it by the Michigan constitution and the compiled laws and statutes of the State of Michigan has the responsibility to "make plans for, to promote, or to acquire, construct, own, develop, maintain and operate a community college."
Policies are general statements of the Board which express its values and intents for the College. The President and college staff have the responsibility for carrying out the policies of the Board.
- The sequence of policy discussion and action by the Board of Trustees shall be as follows:
- Lodging of the policy topic: The first meeting at which a policy topic is discussed shall be for the purpose of introduction. Requests by the Board for further research or added information will serve as the basis for development of a formal policy proposal.
A new policy proposal will not be presented for action by the Board at the first meeting except on rare occasions when cleared in advance with the Board Chair.
- First reading of policy proposal: At the second meeting at which a policy is discussed, a formal policy proposal will be presented for discussion. Identification of issues or requests for further information will be the basis of preparing a final policy proposal for Board action.
On occasion, if the Board wishes to do so, a policy proposal will be acted upon at the same meeting the first reading occurs.
- Final policy proposal for Board action: At the third meeting, a final policy proposal will be presented for Board action.
- The President shall be responsible for research and preparation of drafts on policy matters. Policy matters may be received by the President or Board verbally, but will generally not be discussed by the Board without appropriate research and the preparation of a written draft.
- The Board of Trustees shall annually establish priorities for policy development. Priorities for review of existing policies and for creating new policies shall be considered.
- Appropriate internal review of proposed policies shall be undertaken to insure participation in deliberations by those affected by the policy.
- Policy proposals initiated from within the college staff shall be channeled through the administrative structure and, if approved, shall be presented by the President to the Board of Trustees.
- The college administration shall be responsible for disseminating information on approved policies.
- All Board policies shall be posted on the College Website and shall be maintained by the Administrative Assistant to the Board. The Administrative Assistant to the Board shall provide a paper copy of the Community College Act, College Policies, and Board Bylaws to each Board member. All revisions to policy will be sent to Board members with instruction on where they should be placed in the manual.
Adopted: February 27, 1979
Revised: November 24, 1987
Revised: May 28, 2002
Board of Trustees Policy Manual
SERIES 1000, BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- 1010 - Bylaws
- 1020 - Citizen Participation During Board of Trustees Meetings
- 1030 - Policy Development Guidelines
- 1050 - Mission Statement
- 1060 - Guidelines for Excellence
- 1070 - Trustee Emeritus Policy
- 1080 - Board Travel and Attendance at Conferences
- 1090 - Compensation and Reimbursement of Trustee Local Expenses
SERIES 2000, ADMISSIONS, TUITION/FEES ASSESSMENT
- 2005 - Admissions Policy
- 2030 - Residency
- 2040 - Tuition Refund Policy
- 2080 - Tuition Payment Plan Policy
- 2095 - WCC Scholarships
- 2105 - Program Offerings in Livingston County
- 2120 - Policy on Articulation
SERIES 3000, INSTRUCTION
- 3010 - Assurance of Student Success
- 3020 - Club Sports
- 3031 - Policy on Credit for Prior Learning
- 3033 - College Certificate Structure Policy
- 3043 - Curriculum Purpose and Effectiveness Policy
- 3045 - General Education Philosophy and Requirements
- 3046 - Degree Structure Policy
SERIES 4000, STUDENTS
- 4052 - Learning Resource Center, Loan Privileges (LRC)
- 4055 - New Student Assessment and Individualized Program Planning
- 4060 - Student Orientation
- 4067 - Student Eligibility for Extra- and Co-Curricular Activities
- 4070 - Student Information, Release of
- 4080 - WCC Student Newspaper
- 4090 - Student Health Insurance
- 4095 - Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Code
SERIES 5000, EMPLOYEES
- 5005 - Administrative Compensation Policy
- 5010 - Affirmative Action
- 5020 - Administrative Group Annual Planning & Performance Review Policy
- 5030 - Children's Center, Staff Use of
- 5040 - Conflict of Interest: College Administrators
- 5042 - Diversity in College Employment
- 5045 - Emeritus Staff Policy
- 5050 - Employee Assistance Program
- 5060 - Employee Recognition
- 5065 - Organizational Chart
- 5070 - Part-Time Faculty and Wage Rates
- 5080 - Sexual Harassment
- 5081 - Policy Prohibiting Discriminatory Harassment
- 5085 - Staff Collaboration and Governance Policy
- 5087 - Staff Success Policy
- 5090 - Work Practices and Rules of Conduct (Faculty and Staff)
- 5091 - Drug-Free Workplace
SERIES 6000, BUSINESS OFFICE
- 6010 - Accounting of Funds
- 6020 - Banking
- 6030 - Budget Adjustment
- 6035 - External Use of College Facilities
- 6036 - Conduct and Compliance: Use of Facilities
- 6037 - Facilities Rental Fee Policy
- 6040 - Firearms Range, Utilization Priority
- 6041 - Firearms Range, Safety
- 6042 - Firearms Range, User Fee
- 6050 - Purchase of Goods and Services
- 6060 - Travel
- 6070 - Policy on the Monitoring of Federal Funds
SERIES 7000, CONTINUING EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
- 7010 - Continuing Education Agreements with Public School Districts
- 7020 - Continuing Education Unit
- 7030 - Non-Credit Offerings
SERIES 8000, GENERAL COLLEGE POLICIES
- 8010 - Alcoholic Beverages on College Property, Use and Possession
- 8012 - Americans with Disabilities Act, Compliance
- 8015 - Honorary Associate Degree Policy
- 8016 - Campus Safety Policy
- 8018 - Policy on Student Speech and Expressive Conduct
- 8021 - Internet Accounts Policy
- 8022 - Computing Resources Usage Policy
- 8025 - Crime Awareness and Campus Security Policy
- 8028 - Access, Success, and Equity for Diverse People
- 8029 - Display of Flags and Banners Policy
- 8040 - Foundation, WCC
- 8050 - Institutional Effectiveness
- 8060 - Long-Range Planning
- 8063 - Memorial Tributes
- 8065 - Naming of College Buildings and Spaces
- 8070 - Right To Know Laws, Compliance
- 8085 - Smoke-Free Campus Policy