Board of Trustees Policy
5040 -- POLICY ON CONFLICT OF INTEREST: COLLEGE ADMINISTRATORS
As a matter of policy there shall be no conflict of interest between employment by Washtenaw Community College and other interests of college employees. Conflict of interest may exist in the following areas:
1. financial interest;
2. employment of relatives;
3. use of college facilities in connections with private business and consulting; and
4. supplemental employment.
Specific provisions concerning potential conflict of interest are set forth below, without limitation, however, on the general policy that there shall be no conflict between employment by Washtenaw Community College and other interests of the employee.
- Financial Interest
An administrator of the college with authority for an investment or control of funds for the procurement of goods and services for the college shall not enter into any contract, commitment or agreement of behalf of the college with any entity in which he/she or a member of hi/her family has a financial interest, except after prior report to the President of the college of such financial interest and potential conflict of interest and prior approval of the proposed transaction by the President.
Financial interest is defined as employment by another business entity, or the ownership or control of more than 1% of any firm or institution doing business with Washtenaw Community College by an administrator or a member of his/her immediate family.
A statement reporting compliance with this policy will be required to be filed annually by administrators with the President of the college at the time of acceptance of appointment or reappointment.
- Employment of Relatives
College personnel who are employed in the same instructional department, office, or administrative unit of the college with a member or members of their family (husband, wife, parent, offspring, or sibling) shall not participate in recommendations or decisions of direct concern to a member or members of their family. As used herein, “of direct concern” includes, but is not limited to such matters as appointment, retention, tenure, dismissal, salary, promotion, leave of absence, evaluation, and sabbatical leave. Family members of persons currently employed by Washtenaw Community College may be hired only if they will not occupy a position in the same line of authority within the organization as the employee. In the case where a conflict or potential for conflict arises, even if there is no supervisory relationship involved, the parties may be separated by reassignment or terminated from employment.
The Vice President of Administration and Finance, or such other officer or employee of the college as may be designated, shall have the authority and responsibility for any matters relating to college audits, financial records, payroll, or inventory of goods and supplies of another member of the family. The Vice President of Administration and Finance may issue appropriate rules to be published and made known to the employees of the college in carrying out this responsibility.
- Use of College Facilities in Connection with Private Business and Consulting
Use of college facilities, services, equipment and supplies for private teaching, consulting, and like activities for personal gain is prohibited except when such use is a part of a program or project authorized by the Board of Trustees or the President. When not a part of an authorized project, use of such facilities may be approve by the President upon payment to the college of an appropriate fee.
Any request for the use of college facilities, supplies or services which is inconsistent with the aims, purposes and policies of the college shall be denied.
- Supplemental Employment
Full-time administrators of the college may be permitted to engage in supplemental employment provided such supplemental employment conforms to the following provisions:
a. The supplemental employment is performed outside of the employee’s regular hours of work and does not interfere with the employee’s assigned duties and responsibilities and does not conflict with work requirements outside of the regular business hours of the college.
b. Prior to undertaking supplemental employment the employee shall have reported to the President the nature, extend and expected duration of the work on forms provided by the college, which shall be updated at the beginning of each fiscal year upon acceptance of appointment or reappointment.
c. No promotion or solicitation of students or faculty with respect to any outside employment shall be permitted.
d. The outside employer shall not furnish services to the college except upon compliance by the employee with the reporting and approval requirements of this policy.
e. When in the opinion of the President, or, designee the employee’s supplemental employment interferes with performance of the employee’s college duties, the employee may be requested to end or modify such supplemental employment as a condition of continued employment by the college.
Adopted: September 27, 1977
Revised: June 24, 2003
Board of Trustees Policy Manual
SERIES 1000, BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- 1010 - Bylaws
- 1020 - Citizen Participation During Board of Trustees Meetings
- 1030 - Policy Development Guidelines
- 1050 - Mission Statement
- 1060 - Guidelines for Excellence
- 1070 - Trustee Emeritus Policy
- 1080 - Board Travel and Attendance at Conferences
- 1090 - Compensation and Reimbursement of Trustee Local Expenses
SERIES 2000, ADMISSIONS, TUITION/FEES ASSESSMENT
- 2005 - Admissions Policy
- 2030 - Residency
- 2040 - Tuition Refund Policy
- 2080 - Tuition Payment Plan Policy
- 2095 - WCC Scholarships
- 2105 - Program Offerings in Livingston County
- 2120 - Policy on Articulation
SERIES 3000, INSTRUCTION
- 3010 - Assurance of Student Success
- 3020 - Club Sports
- 3031 - Policy on Credit for Prior Learning
- 3033 - College Certificate Structure Policy
- 3043 - Curriculum Purpose and Effectiveness Policy
- 3045 - General Education Philosophy and Requirements
- 3046 - Degree Structure Policy
SERIES 4000, STUDENTS
- 4052 - Learning Resource Center, Loan Privileges (LRC)
- 4055 - New Student Assessment and Individualized Program Planning
- 4060 - Student Orientation
- 4067 - Student Eligibility for Extra- and Co-Curricular Activities
- 4070 - Student Information, Release of
- 4080 - WCC Student Newspaper
- 4090 - Student Health Insurance
- 4095 - Student Rights and Responsibilities
SERIES 5000, EMPLOYEES
- 5005 - Administrative Compensation Policy
- 5010 - Affirmative Action
- 5020 - Administrative Group Annual Planning & Performance Review Policy
- 5030 - Children's Center, Staff Use of
- 5040 - Conflict of Interest: College Administrators
- 5042 - Diversity in College Employment
- 5045 - Emeritus Staff Policy
- 5050 - Employee Assistance Program
- 5060 - Employee Recognition
- 5065 - Organizational Chart
- 5070 - Part-Time Faculty and Wage Rates
- 5080 - Sexual Harassment
- 5081 - Policy Prohibiting Discriminatory Harassment
- 5085 - Staff Collaboration and Governance Policy
- 5087 - Staff Success Policy
- 5090 - Work Practices and Rules of Conduct (Faculty and Staff)
- 5091 - Drug-Free Workplace
SERIES 6000, BUSINESS OFFICE
- 6010 - Accounting of Funds
- 6020 - Banking
- 6030 - Budget Adjustment
- 6035 - External Use of College Facilities
- 6036 - Conduct and Compliance: Use of Facilities
- 6037 - Facilities Rental Fee Policy
- 6040 - Firearms Range, Utilization Priority
- 6041 - Firearms Range, Safety
- 6042 - Firearms Range, User Fee
- 6050 - Purchase of Goods and Services
- 6060 - Travel
- 6070 - Policy on the Monitoring of Federal Funds
SERIES 7000, CONTINUING EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
- 7010 - Continuing Education Agreements with Public School Districts
- 7020 - Continuing Education Unit
- 7030 - Non-Credit Offerings
SERIES 8000, GENERAL COLLEGE POLICIES
- 8010 - Alcoholic Beverages on College Property, Use and Possession
- 8012 - Americans with Disabilities Act, Compliance
- 8015 - Honorary Associate Degree Policy
- 8016 - Campus Safety Policy
- 8018 - Policy on Student Speech and Expressive Conduct
- 8021 - Internet Accounts Policy
- 8022 - Computing Resources Usage Policy
- 8025 - Crime Awareness and Campus Security Policy
- 8028 - Access, Success, and Equity for Diverse People
- 8029 - Display of Flags and Banners Policy
- 8040 - Foundation, WCC
- 8050 - Institutional Effectiveness
- 8060 - Long-Range Planning
- 8063 - Memorial Tributes
- 8065 - Naming of College Buildings and Spaces
- 8070 - Right To Know Laws, Compliance
- 8085 - Smoke-Free Campus Policy