8028 -- Policy on Access, Success and Equity for Diverse People
"Always keep in mind that what we do in terms of how we educate our students is based on hope and love. For teaching and studying cultural studies celebrates our humanity, how precious life is, and how the human spirit is mirrored in each of us."
"What we do today will determine tomorrow." - Morris J. Lawrence, 1991
Statement of Policy
WCC promotes a climate of access, success and equity for persons from different racial, ethnic and cultural groups, age levels, religions, genders, sexual orientations, physical capacities, learning abilities and income levels.
WCC promotes the awareness and appreciation of cultural differences and commonalties among students, community and staff groups -- seeking to build community, unity and learning.
WCC works to create and maintain a diverse teaching, learning, and work environment that can draw upon the full potential of all individuals in order to provide the very best educational opportunities for all members of our communities.
Diversity refers to the institution's commitment to:
- promote an increased understanding and appreciation of the differences, as well as the commonalties among us through such means as education, professional training, dialogue, and discussion.
- work to ensure that our students and staff profiles reflect the diversity of our service area.
- support the educational success of students of all backgrounds.
- increase the organization's capacity to work effectively in today's world by attracting and utilizing the best talent available.
Recognizing the growing diversity among our students, staff, and the communities we serve, the college will strive to prepare for a future in which we celebrate the differences in people -- a future in which we not only recognize but realize the benefits of our diversity. This preparation requires proactive leadership and accountability at all levels of the institution.
Therefore, the college will continuously improve its programs and processes and strive to:
- develop and maintain college policies, procedures and practices that support the recruitment, retention, and success of a diverse student and staff population.
- regularly review educational support materials, college publications, and advertisements to evaluate their effectiveness in reflecting and supporting diversity.
- develop and maintain curricula that recognize the contributions of people from all backgrounds and promote an understanding and appreciation of this diversity.
- provide professional development for faculty to increase their capacity to accommodate the varied learning styles of diverse groups.
- provide college classes, programs, and services that are accessible to all members of our learning community -- students, staff and community members.
- reflect in the college's visual environment the diversity of our students, staff, and the communities we serve (e.g., postings, decorations, etc.).
- support, promote, and celebrate diversity through continued training, and social and cultural events.
These activities should serve to increase the awareness and support necessary to create and sustain a premier and diverse teaching, learning, and work community.
Adopted: March 26, 1996
Administrative Review: May 2002
Board of Trustees Policy Manual
SERIES 1000, BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- 1010 - Bylaws
- 1020 - Citizen Participation During Board of Trustees Meetings
- 1030 - Policy Development Guidelines
- 1050 - Mission Statement
- 1060 - Guidelines for Excellence
- 1070 - Trustee Emeritus Policy
- 1080 - Board Travel and Attendance at Conferences
- 1090 - Compensation and Reimbursement of Trustee Local Expenses
SERIES 2000, ADMISSIONS, TUITION/FEES ASSESSMENT
- 2005 - Admissions Policy
- 2030 - Residency
- 2040 - Tuition Refund Policy
- 2080 - Tuition Payment Plan Policy
- 2095 - WCC Scholarships
- 2105 - Program Offerings in Livingston County
- 2120 - Policy on Articulation
SERIES 3000, INSTRUCTION
- 3010 - Assurance of Student Success
- 3020 - Club Sports
- 3031 - Policy on Credit for Prior Learning
- 3033 - College Certificate Structure Policy
- 3043 - Curriculum Purpose and Effectiveness Policy
- 3045 - General Education Philosophy and Requirements
- 3046 - Degree Structure Policy
SERIES 4000, STUDENTS
- 4052 - Learning Resource Center, Loan Privileges (LRC)
- 4055 - New Student Assessment and Individualized Program Planning
- 4060 - Student Orientation
- 4067 - Student Eligibility for Extra- and Co-Curricular Activities
- 4070 - Student Information, Release of
- 4080 - WCC Student Newspaper
- 4090 - Student Health Insurance
- 4095 - Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Code
SERIES 5000, EMPLOYEES
- 5005 - Administrative Compensation Policy
- 5010 - Affirmative Action
- 5020 - Administrative Group Annual Planning & Performance Review Policy
- 5030 - Children's Center, Staff Use of
- 5040 - Conflict of Interest: College Administrators
- 5042 - Diversity in College Employment
- 5045 - Emeritus Staff Policy
- 5050 - Employee Assistance Program
- 5060 - Employee Recognition
- 5065 - Organizational Chart
- 5070 - Part-Time Faculty and Wage Rates
- 5080 - Sexual Harassment
- 5081 - Policy Prohibiting Discriminatory Harassment
- 5085 - Staff Collaboration and Governance Policy
- 5087 - Staff Success Policy
- 5090 - Work Practices and Rules of Conduct (Faculty and Staff)
- 5091 - Drug-Free Workplace
SERIES 6000, BUSINESS OFFICE
- 6010 - Accounting of Funds
- 6020 - Banking
- 6030 - Budget Adjustment
- 6035 - External Use of College Facilities
- 6036 - Conduct and Compliance: Use of Facilities
- 6037 - Facilities Rental Fee Policy
- 6040 - Firearms Range, Utilization Priority
- 6041 - Firearms Range, Safety
- 6042 - Firearms Range, User Fee
- 6050 - Purchase of Goods and Services
- 6060 - Travel
- 6070 - Policy on the Monitoring of Federal Funds
SERIES 7000, CONTINUING EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
- 7010 - Continuing Education Agreements with Public School Districts
- 7020 - Continuing Education Unit
- 7030 - Non-Credit Offerings
SERIES 8000, GENERAL COLLEGE POLICIES
- 8010 - Alcoholic Beverages on College Property, Use and Possession
- 8012 - Americans with Disabilities Act, Compliance
- 8015 - Honorary Associate Degree Policy
- 8016 - Campus Safety Policy
- 8018 - Policy on Student Speech and Expressive Conduct
- 8021 - Internet Accounts Policy
- 8022 - Computing Resources Usage Policy
- 8025 - Crime Awareness and Campus Security Policy
- 8028 - Access, Success, and Equity for Diverse People
- 8029 - Display of Flags and Banners Policy
- 8040 - Foundation, WCC
- 8050 - Institutional Effectiveness
- 8060 - Long-Range Planning
- 8063 - Memorial Tributes
- 8065 - Naming of College Buildings and Spaces
- 8070 - Right To Know Laws, Compliance
- 8085 - Smoke-Free Campus Policy